Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Turn This Into That: Ideas to Upcycle Toy Packaging


I'd like to invite you to play the youtube link below... to listen with me as you continue to read...

This is a song we toy-buying people can relate to...


Last night I did something productive with the toy packaging.

Sara received these my generation doll clothes from her Aunt Marilyn as a Christmas present...
The clothes came in these cute little boxes.
I needed to make something with them.

Sara and her friends were having a Christmas Movie Party Night...
By the way, it's probably not a great idea to hook up a new tv right before Christmas Movie Party Night.  After 3 hours of laboring, google-ing, and underappreciating my back to try putting the old monster tv back in place, the girls watched The Muppets Christmas Carol in black and white.  

Husband Dion came home from work at midnight.  Three minutes later it was in color.  WHAT?!! Super embarrassing really.  I was absolutely defeated deflated by his brilliance.

Anyway, after the movie, brownies, popcorn, hot chocolate with marshmallows, (what spell check? but all my life I've been saying marshmellow.   marshmAllow?  okay. I guess.), whipped topping, AND candy peppermint sticks to stir...

the girls sang karaoke...
Siri liked the rowdy girls.

These lights and poster board trees are left over from another Chirstmas party that I can hardly wait to show you.

During karaoke, there was an unexpected fireworks display put off by our neighbors...resulting in a whole lot of really loud screamy girls delight...
 
really, I just wanted to tie in my fireworks pics...

The unexpected fireworks show was followed by more karaoke and charades.

Then all the girls went home, except one.

Sara and the exception got out the doodle books.

So I got out the two toy packaging boxes, paper cutter, pop-up dots, stencils, scissors, and card stock.
And just like the little mice that made the tailor's shoes, I made these...
Except really not at all like that, because I'm not a mouse or a tailor.

and those mice didn't have a Breaking Bad marathon.

At 8am, shortly after the final scene, my heart ached for the Jesse Pinkmans and Walter Whites.

It was then that I took toy packaging inventory.

30 blank note cards...
25 Valentine's Day cards...
15 gift tags for bags and gift boxes...
 
and there are still more scraps.

Here are images on the back of Barbie toy packaging that could be cut out and used as photos for Barbie's house. 
Sometimes we reuse the larger cardboard scene that comes with the Barbie sets.

This one was used in the kitchen.  The square metallic pieces on the purse and this piece of cardboard from toy packaging were upcycled into the Barbie's stove top. 
Sara's Barbie bed is made out of toy packaging too.
The pink heart headboard and box for the mattress are both upcycled toy packaging.  The jewels are a tiara found at the Dollar Tree. 
How are you making your today world beautiful?
Please share your latest project photos and stories with us on our group fb page here!

Post a Comment

Any nice reader may comment, either as "anonymous" or with an id.

Click on "comment as" and scroll for choices. A successful comment is published immediately.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...